It’s that time again, where we come together and share some of the madness that we’ve been making, either in our professional or project-based lives and try to bring ourselves up from the depths of exploration to explain it to other human beings who haven’t been living and breathing this stuff. It’s also a great opportunity to pop in and see the changes made in the space recently, or just to pop in and say hello!
“Explain Like I’m 5” is our collaborative speaker series, where local developers, technologists, entrepreneurs, artists, performers, scientists, and business people take a concept that may be highly specific to their area of expertise or work, and break it down to a lay audience from right across the STEAM spectrum with a minimal expectation of prior knowledge.
The event is in two parts; an invited and a free-for-all section, separated by a beer, soft drink, pizza and fresh fruit intermission. (Many thanks to BCS Belfast for sponsoring these!)
The rules for both groups are the same:
- Speakers have a maximum of 7 minutes to speak on the subject of their choice, followed by a short open Q&A.
- No Slides! The use of Non-Projected Visual Aids is heavily encouraged, and projectors may be considered for live demonstrations.
- Before the event starts and during the break, presenters (invited or unplanned) are asked to put a 3-5 word synopsis of their topic on the blackboard along with their name.
- The Compère will decide what order presentations will be done, so be nice to him/her!
- Punishment for rule/time violators is at the discretion of the compère.
If you’ve got something you’d like to share, sign up for the “Speaker” ticket type or email email@example.com to discuss it with the subject line “ELI5”
If you’d like to get a little social in the mean time; we’ve also got a Facebook event but this will not be used for attendance tracking